Songs of Praise (My Story, My Music) recording 12 July 2011

Chat about Alfie's past, Events. Concerts and appearances

Moderator: Mods

Postby eubie » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:02 pm

I am so excited for all those who will be singing in this, AND to get to sing with Alfie...pure bliss! Great song choices. Have a wonderful time and relish the moment. Lesley, I too think How Great Thou Art would be a great one for Alfie. Hope it's so.
eubie
I'm an Alfies Arrow

Postby Boe-Belle » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:07 pm

Thanks for letting us know that Mark said the producers changed their mind - does beg the question who's choosing the hymns.
Yes we were given a booklet of words and music to take away - and had to vow we'd remember to bring them back :wink:
They've cut verses from some hymns so don't go learning all, and, depending on which hymn book you've got, the verses may be in a different order so I'll abbreviate the first line of each verse here:

Love Divine ....; Come Almighty .....; Finish then ....:

How Great thou art ...; And when I think ....; When Christ shall come ....:

To God be the Glory ....; O perfect redemption (S&A lines 1&2, T&B lines 3&4) ...; Great things He hath taught us ....:

O for a thousand .......; Jesus the name .....; He speaks and listening (S&A lines 1-3, T&B line 4, ALL final line x 3) ; My gracious Master .....:

Guide me O Thou Great Redeemer ........; Open thou the crystal fountain (T&B lines 1&2, S&A lines 3&4, ALL lines 5&6) ; When I tread the verge .....:

So there you go!
I've just remembered, we are asked to wear bright coloured clothing, not black.
Has anyone actually received their tickets? - my postman hasn't delivered mine yet.
A heart full of love - this I give you on this day. (Jean Valjean - Les Miserables)
Boe-Belle
I'm an Alfies Arrow
I'm an Alfies Arrow

Postby Natalie » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:11 pm

Not got my ticket
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Natalie
I'm an Alfies Arrow [Bronze]

Postby Lesley B » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:56 pm

Oh Boe-Belle you are so kind! Lovely to have all that detail. I will print off the relevant verses and get learning!
No, I haven't got my ticket yet.
Lesley B
I'm an Alfies Arrow

Postby Phosa » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:06 pm

Has anyone received audience tickets for 12th July, I requested some for friends and need to let them know if they are definitely going or not sometime soon.
Phosa
I'm an Alfies Arrow

Postby CeeBeeCee » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:10 am

I love those hymns. Thanks for sharing.
“When you do the things that you can do, you will find a way.”

― A.A. Milne
CeeBeeCee
I'm an Alfies Arrow

Postby Surfonsun » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:27 am

Lesley B wrote:Thank you so much Boe-Belle and Surfonsun for your reports about the rehearsal. It sounds to have been great and I'm really sorry I couldn't be there. Am so looking forward to July 12th! Although all the hymns are pretty familiar to me, I wouldn't say I know every single verse off by heart, so I really need to do a bit of revision on them. The thing is the words can vary a bit between versions. Were you given copies of the words to take home with you? Surfonsun, you said they are on Facebook. I looked on the Songs of Praise page and couldn't see them.
I'm going to plump for How Great Thou Art As the one Alfie will sing with us (perhaps one verse on his own?) What do the rest of you think?

Sorry if I confused anyone. Yes, were were given a song book to take home with us and I should have said that the actual hymns are on Youtube (not just the words) I need the music, so while learning the lines I have the music to sing to. Just type in the name of the hymn and various versions appear. No clue was given as to which Hymn Alfie will sing. See you on the 12th...
Surfonsun
I'm an Alfies Arrow
I'm an Alfies Arrow

Postby Surfonsun » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:56 am

Just received my tickets for Songs of Praise.
Surfonsun
I'm an Alfies Arrow
I'm an Alfies Arrow

Postby MzFitz » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:09 am

Got mine too. Little bit freaked as it says CHOIR down the side. Is that on everyones? I'm bringing a friend who's never seen Alfie before and is so excited - but is not a choir singer .....
MzFitz
Boe curious

Postby Lesley B » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:13 pm

MzFitz wrote:Got mine too. Little bit freaked as it says CHOIR down the side. Is that on everyones? I'm bringing a friend who's never seen Alfie before and is so excited - but is not a choir singer .....

Yes, mine arrived today too! I think all tickets will have CHOIR down one side, as the original invite on the BBC SoP page said "If you sing in a choir you are welcome to apply for tickets". However, on the ABUK website it seems to suggest that anyone can apply to attend but adds, "If you are a singer and would like to be part of a massed choir, please state if you are Soprano, Alto, Tenor or Bass." All rather confusing! My guess is that the massed choir may be down in the ground floor space, with the non singers up in the gallery - but I could be wrong! If your friend wants to sit with you I'm sure there wouldn't be a problem - you could always give her some singing lessons beforehand, and teach her the words!! :)
Lesley B
I'm an Alfies Arrow

Postby KatieGDPuppywalker » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:02 pm

Our tickets arrived this morning very excited
KatieGDPuppywalker
Boe curious

Postby Mumma » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:35 pm

pbrooks wrote:Oh, My, Goodness! I can't believe Alfie is singing "In My Daughter's Eyes"! I have been wanting to hear him sing this since he sang it at the IOM concert. It is a beautiful song that has special meaning because of Alfie's feelings for his daughter Gracie. So glad it will be on his next album! :D

This is indeed lovely....was so beautiful at IOM gig. :D
Veste la Giubba
Mumma

Postby Mumma » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:38 pm

Lesley B wrote:
Phosa wrote:I think somewhere things may have got a little confused and the songs quoted for Alfie's programme may have been for someone else (Mavis Staples?). The core choir this evening were asked to sing:-
Guide me O Thou Great Redeemer
O For A Thousand Tongues To Sing
To God Be The Glory
How Great Thou Art, O Lord My God
Love Divine All Loves Excelling

Apparently Mark Tomlinson gave me the four songs I quoted (on June 28th at 3.50pm) in perfectly good faith! He emailed his apology to me today, saying that the producer had changed his mind about the song choice not long before the first rehearsal. I am so pleased with the second choices - all are favourites of mine and some of the greatest hymns ever written!

This is indeed better - in my opinion much more suited for Alfie, the others for Mavis.
Veste la Giubba
Mumma

Postby Mumma » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:41 pm

Lesley B wrote:Thank you so much Boe-Belle and Surfonsun for your reports about the rehearsal. It sounds to have been great and I'm really sorry I couldn't be there. Am so looking forward to July 12th! Although all the hymns are pretty familiar to me, I wouldn't say I know every single verse off by heart, so I really need to do a bit of revision on them. The thing is the words can vary a bit between versions. Were you given copies of the words to take home with you? Surfonsun, you said they are on Facebook. I looked on the Songs of Praise page and couldn't see them.
I'm going to plump for How Great Thou Art As the one Alfie will sing with us (perhaps one verse on his own?) What do the rest of you think?

My guess is "Love divine"....3rd verse:
"Come Almighty to deliver,
Let us all thy grace receive"....... :wink:
Veste la Giubba
Mumma

Postby MzFitz » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:35 am

Lesley B wrote:
MzFitz wrote:Got mine too. Little bit freaked as it says CHOIR down the side. Is that on everyones? I'm bringing a friend who's never seen Alfie before and is so excited - but is not a choir singer .....

Yes, mine arrived today too! I think all tickets will have CHOIR down one side, as the original invite on the BBC SoP page said "If you sing in a choir you are welcome to apply for tickets". However, on the ABUK website it seems to suggest that anyone can apply to attend but adds, "If you are a singer and would like to be part of a massed choir, please state if you are Soprano, Alto, Tenor or Bass." All rather confusing! My guess is that the massed choir may be down in the ground floor space, with the non singers up in the gallery - but I could be wrong! If your friend wants to sit with you I'm sure there wouldn't be a problem - you could always give her some singing lessons beforehand, and teach her the words!! :)

Thanks! The original link I followed was on Alfie's facebook page, and said nothing about choir - it was the follow up email from the BBC that asked for Soprano etc .... I'll be heading for where the non-choir singers will be.
MzFitz
Boe curious

PreviousNext

Return to Past Events, Concerts & Appearances